Fri, Jul 30, 2010
Welcome to the Monster 5 For Friday, our weekly spotlight of the 5 articles we consider “must reads” for recruiting and talent professionals.
This week, the traditional press and the HR trades looked strikingly similar. After all, the headlines were filled with news involving promotions (Tanil Cantil-Sakauye’s nomination as the California Supreme Court Chief Justice), transfers (Tony Hayward, Chris Paul) and workforce integration (the upcoming nuptials of Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezinsky).
While these stories dominated the mainstream press, this week’s Monster 5 for Friday showed that HR doesn’t need to make national news to make us pay attention to the business of people; insightful writing and thought provoking content do just as well.
The Monster 5 For Friday (7.24.10-7.30.10)
5. When In Doubt…Hire the Best Writing Skills All things being equal, writes Kris Dunn on The HR Capitalist, hiring the best writer isn’t just the right talent decision, but the right business decision. Read this for the pros on prose by a great writer in his own right.
4. HRYP Series: What You Need To Know Taking the first steps down the HR career path has some unique challenges – and opportunities. UpstartHR’s Ben Eubanks profiles 4 young HR professionals, who share their concerns of today and biggest dreams for tomorrow.
3. Confusion About the War for Talent Even in a buyer’s market some companies still face a talent shortage for highly specialized positions. The long term solution for filling these roles doesn’t lie in recruiting, but retention, suggests Lance Haun on ReHaul.
2. Well, Ducky. We’re Only As Lucky As The Next Net Job Kevin Grossman reflects on the recession, providing historical, economic and political context in a poignant, heart-felt post that’s on the money. Nice to know something is, these days. From the HRMarketer blog.
1. The Myth of Gen Y Entitlement The reluctance of Gen Y workers to do menial tasks has nothing to do with entitlement, but a desire to do meaningful work for the business, not just busywork, explains Alexandra McSweeney on Yoh’s Seamless Talent Blog.
For more good stuff, check out the Monster 5 for Friday: Careers Edition for this week’s top articles from the world of job search and career development.
Which of these was your favorite? What did we miss? Let us know!